Ingredients & Supplies
Yield: Two 9" Round Cakes Or One 9x13" Cake.
1/2 Lb Bacon Strips, Uncooked (Optional: Cook Extra Bacon For Cake Topping)
1 Cup Honey
1/4 Cup Bacon Grease (Reserved From Bacon)
3/4 Cup Coconut Oil (Melted)
1/2 Cup Water
1-2 Teaspoons Melted Coconut Oil For Greasing Cake Pans
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. Line 1 cookie sheet with aluminum foil and lay strips of bacon flat on cookie sheet.
3. Cook bacon in oven for 15-20 minutes until just starting to get crispy (do not under or overcook!)
4. Remove cookie sheet from oven and, using a spatula, carefully remove hot bacon to a plate and allow to cool.
5. Turn oven temperature down to 350 degrees.
6. Using oven mits, carefully pour bacon grease from cookie sheets into a dish. Reserve 1/4 cup bacon grease and discard the rest (or save it for cooking).
7. Mix up batter according to package directions (replacing 1/4 cup coconut oil with 1/4 cup bacon grease).
8. Chop cooled bacon into small pieces (about 1/4" by 1/4") and add to batter.
9. Use 1-2 teaspoons melted coconut oil to grease cake pan(s).
10. Pour batter into cake pan(s). If making two 9" round cakes, divide batter evenly between pans.
11. Bake at 350 degrees for 20-30 minutes if making two 9" round cakes, or 30-45 minutes if making one 9x13" cake. DO NOT OVER-BAKE or cake will be dry. Cakes are done when an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
12. Remove cake(s) from oven and allow to cool on a wire rack. Enjoy immediately, or, if frosting, refrigerate at least one hour.
13. Serving tips: Frost with Paleo Chocolate Frosting on PaleoBakingCompany.com and top with additional chopped bacon!