Paleo Sweet & Savory Porridge
Simple and natural, this paleo porridge is the perfect breakfast comfort food that won't wreak havoc on your digestion.
- 1 medium turnip, peeled and diced (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 1-2 cups natural chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons coconut cream or coconut milk
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil
- 1/4 cup celery, diced
- 1/4 cup onion, diced
- 1/4 cup fresh or dried green apple, diced
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries, juice sweetened (try them at Nuts.com)
- sea salt to taste (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon dried sage, crumbled
- Place diced turnips in a medium sauce pan, and pour chicken broth in until just covered (about 1-2 cups).
- Over medium-high heat bring turnips and chicken broth to a boil.
- Meanwhile, in a separate saute pan, sautee coconut oil, celery, onion, apple and cranberries over medium-high heat until onions are translucent and all ingredients are fork-tender. Add sea salt and dried sage if preferred (or other herbal seasoning), stir and remove from heat. Set aside.
- When turnips are fork-tender, turn off heat and carefully drain off excess liquid.
- Add coconut cream to cooked turnips and mash with a fork or potato masher. You can also puree in a blender for a smoother porridge.
- Serve hot in bowls with vegetable/fruit topping. Enjoy!
Leave a Reply